28 January 2009

Kogswell Porteur

Kogswell Porteur

This is my Kogswell Porteur 650b project bike which is now rideable but not complete.

- Wheels are Paul Components Hubs laced with DT Swiss Competition spokes to Velocity Synergy 650b hubs. The spokes alternate black and silver (for a laugh). Shod with Panaracer Col De Vie tyres.
- Nitto Montmartre bar from Velo Orange complete with cork grips and City Bike brake levers.
- Paul Components "Touring" Cantilever Brakes
- Brooks England B17 Special Copper Saddle
- Cane Creek Headset (threw out one that came with the frame!)

The Truvativ cranks are just thrown on from my singlespeed mountain bike so I could ride it - they are 180mm and catch on the ground if I turn sharply while pedaling.

The gearing is a very low 32 x 19 - which is great for around Auckland where I live. I can easily pedal up hills, cruise the flat, and coast down. It's not designed to be fast but I have been surprised about how light it is.

I’ve been riding it to work every day and am really enjoying it.

To do: Replace the cranks and fit the chaincase. Fit the mudguards. Get a porteur rack built for it and fit.

3 comments:

  1. How many bikes in the garage now Timmo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Vicki getting another bike also :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great bike, love the handlebars...just got a pair and looking forward to trying them out!

    ReplyDelete